Sunday, December 26, 2004

Mellow Holidays at Home

Well, most of the excitement seems to have left with Turnip. At this point. Now it's just been much chillin' and errand running with the family. The washing machine went belly up on Tuesday night while I was out causing trouble. Dad thought we wouldn't be able to get another one until after the new year, so I immediately put on my best pouty face. And it worked. Off he went on Wednesday to get a new machine!

Because it is Hawai'i washing machine shopping was a little more complicated than it might be otherwise. Though it's kind of normal out here. Dad bought a used machine for less than half what it cost new and was told it would be here between 4&5 that day. It did not arrive between 4&5 or at any time on that day. While it was not arriving, Dad was doing research. While Consumer Reports rated the machine #2 something or other there were apparently lots of problems with it and a class-action lawsuit regarding the machine. So, on Thursday he called Harry (of Harry's Appliances) to see about getting a different machine, new. Something less fancy. Harry called us back. There was much debate and we ended up going for this other machine. Which was to be delivered at 2PM. And it arrived promptly at 3:30PM. But, we have a brand new washing machine. And I can do all my laundry and pretend I'm home from college or something. I don't know. I don't know why I cared so much about the machine. Maybe just that I packed more gifts than clothes and my jeans were going to stink soon.

I brought a couple
Netflix movies with me on this trip and we watched one the other night. The other one is Midnight Express and we haven't brought ourselves to watch it yet. Actually, the family keeps trying to decide when exactly would be a good time to watch a Turkish Prison Movie. The best answer so far has come from Dad. He decided an excellent time would be after the Red Sox have beaten the Yankees in the playoffs and then gone on to win the World Series. Because, you'd need a reminder that life could get worse. Like, you could been in a Turkish Prison. My father is the cutest man alive. Just so you know.

On Christmas night we watched Dodgeball and Bad(er) Santa. Mom skipped out on Dodgeball because she'd seen it before and didn't love it quite as much as Dad did. And it was pretty funny. And only encouraged my celebrity crush on Jason Bateman. Something that had been dying out since Teen Wolf Too and resurfacing with Arrested Development. And while I did like Dodgeball, having to explain to my father just what a Dirty Sanchez is was a bit of an awkward moment. Much like I suspect the moment will be when I explain it to my Mom after she reads this. Though maybe she'll just ask Dad or look it up on the magical internet. Anyway, it was fun. And kind of typical for this family.

Actually, I think it was Christmas Eve and we were all hanging on my folks' bed enjoying the air conditioning while pondering what we should do. And we were trying to think of what typical families do for family time. It was harder than we expected. We finally came up with Parcheesi. Which we have now played twice. I have lost both times. I am ashamed. But it was family time. We've also run lots of errands, been to Costco, done the Christmas thing and gone to the beach. All in all a good holiday in Hawai'i.

Now if only my friends here would call so we could hang. 'Cause I'm running out of time! I have tomorrow (my Mom's Birthday) and Tuesday until 8PM or so.

Dammit. I only have two more days. That sucks. I don't wanna go back to New York and my cold apartment and evil job. BAH!

No comments: