Monday, June 06, 2005

Summertime

When did we have Spring? Did I miss Spring? It was cold. And then it was rainy. There were a few cool, clear days, more rain and coldness and then it got HOT. It hardly seems like we get Spring anymore. Seasonal changes are supposed to be one of the few benefits of not being in Hawai'i. And lately all I get is Winter, Rain and the middle of Summer. I miss Spring. Just a few weeks where it's in the 60s, maybe the low 70s. Clear and pretty with the occasional brief rainstorm. I want Spring, dammit!

But, Spring or no I have been LOVING my backyard. Well, I haven't actually mowed it yet. And I need to. And I'm dreading it. Because the grass/weeds are high enough to poke me when I lay in the hammock. And that's not so good. But other than that, love it.

Yesterday as I was nursing the sleepies, the crankies and the mild hangover (I really never drink enough water even when I'm not tossing back beer) I sprawled out in the hammock with a book & a raspberry cider and it was awesome. I think I was out there for hours. Reading, swinging, drinking, looking at the pretty sky through the pretty leaves on the pretty tree... Listening to my neighborhood. Occasionally someone a few yards down blasts Italian Opera. Which just makes me smile. Because it is Brooklyn and I'm out in my yard listening to Italian Opera. And it kind of makes my heart swell. I don't know how I will ever live anywhere else. Especially if I can find someone to clean and mow my lawn. THAT would be awesome. Anyone interested in a Cabin Boy position?

1 comment:

Maggie said...

No cabin boy, please, I'm having enough trouble keeping my own place clean. But I would like to take you up on that invite for tomorrow night, if it's still available. After the day I'm having today, I really could use some hammock time. And lovely Amanda time, of course!