Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane News

My Mom's nightly email from last night discussed some news she read about Fairhope, AL. It appears the yacht club down there is destroyed and the piers are a mess as well as a lot of homes and things. I know it's so small in the grand scheme of things; people losing their homes forever, all the death and destruction. But it breaks my heart a little to think of all the places that my grandparents used to take me being reduced to rubble. It breaks my heart more to think of what everyone is going through down there. But I guess it brings it home a little more for me to think of all those wonderful memories I had of the pier and the yacht club. All the dinners Bz would buy for me at the club. The salad bar I loved as a kid 'cause they'd let me just fill my salad plate with cottage cheese and black olives. The 'fancy' ladies room with green couches. The time Vader and I were visiting and after dinner went to wade in the water. We ended up totally soaking ourselves and spent the ride home on the floor of the backseat so we wouldn't mess up Nana & Bz's pretty car. My great-aunt Jean taking us to dinner there the last time I was down, right after my grandfather passed away. Fishing off those piers with Bz, getting mullet and crab.

And also thinking of all my wonderful trips to New Orleans. Not with my grandparents but with my parents. And one spring break with Tangerine. And one jazz fest with a guy who's family still lives there. And all the stuff that's probably beyond repair down there. It's such an amazing city.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it. And I'm still having a hard time dealing with the fact that there is very little I can do to help. But, I guess even my little donation helps. And this country rebuilds and survives. And everyone will get through this. And it's probably good to remember that.

No comments: