Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sophia

I'm not a big one for celebrity gossip. I enjoy hearing about it and I skim all kinds of celeb blogs. I'm a fan of pop culture and all that. But I don't actually care about most of the gossip. It's sad when people break up or die or go to jail or fall off the wagon or whatever, but I have enough people in my life who need my care and attention and love and sympathy. Okay, that sounds cold. Man, I really am dead inside. It's not that I'm cold and uncaring, I just figure they have folks to worry about them. If they need me they can find me and call me but otherwise I'm not going to feel more than a, "huh, that sucks" for people I don't know and/or can't help.

Anyway, my whole point is that I'm actually a little bit sad about Estelle Getty. Like really sad and not just sad in passing for her family and friends.

Anyone who knows me and Vader even a little bit should know our MAD LOVE for the Golden Girls. We've seen all the episodes a million times (bless you Lifetime Television for Women and your six hours of GG a day). We quote them or reference them all the time. I smile every time the Go Fug Yourself girls mention one of Blanche's caftan's or Dorothy's special style of dressing. Even my poor father has been subjected to a episode or two when he's been in town. And I totally hope that when I hit a certain age I'll be living with friends and eating cheesecake and talking about all the dirty sex we're having (finally, after you've gone, Daddy, I might think about having sex) and getting into inane fights and hitting each other on the head with newspapers and stuff like that. So, I'm sad that the woman who brought Sofia to life is gone. And that she had to battle an illness for a long time before.

So, this Sunday Vader and I are going to get together and have a little Estelle Memorial. We're going to watch "Flu Attack" (my favorite GG episode) and "The Case of the Libertine Belle" (Vader's favorite episode) as well as a few others. We'll probably throw in a viewing of Mannequin. And we'll eat cheesecake and some kind of Sophia food that involves red sauce. Or maybe we'll just have ear salve on pasta. And it'll be awesome.

No comments: