Monday, July 21, 2008

Movies

Vader and I are going to see WarGames Thursday night. Very excited. When one of her coworkers was describing what WarGames was to another coworker he said, "It's like Dr. Strangelove directed by John Hughes." Love it!

Vader and I saw a couple of movies this past weekend. Now, I normally am the one sitting next to the chatty/crazy/evil/not too bright people, but that was Vader's luck this weekend. At Wall-e she sat next to an adult woman who looked bright enough, but had to have the move constantly explained to her. Wall-e. A children's movie. Created with children in mind. Something children could understand. Apparently she had a hard time grasping the idea of robots. So, through our whole next movie I kept leaning over to Vader and asking, "What's that?" Every time she responded with, "It's a robot."

Next, we went to see Mama Mia. A move based on a Broadway Musical based on the songs of ABBA. Whether you know anything else about this movie, you should expect some singing. But, apparently there is a whole group of people out there who pay their $10+ without knowing what they're getting into. At the opening scene the girl next to her asked if it was a Disney movie. And decided Amanda Seyfried sounded like Ariel. At one point in the movie she threatened to throw something at the screen if the cast sang one more song. And she was horrified by all the old people in the movie. You know, the ancient old crones in their 50s. Who are all in better shape and look better in bathing suits than I do. Or her I think. Bah! As Vader said, "shut up, you have a side ponytail!"

My all time favorite still has to be when Muffy, Steph and I went to see Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Right before the end some guy in front of us ran off to the restroom (I assume). He came back as the credits were rolling. He seemed bummed and asked his friend what had happened. The response, "The fat kid almost drowned." And then... "And they totally set it up for a sequel." Took Muffy and I a while to stop laughing. He just seemed so amazed at the NERVE.

Another good one was when Lovey and I went to see Serenity. It was a fairly empty theater. A man was sitting in the aisle seat, then an empty seat, then me, then Lovey, then several empty seats. Plus many excellent empty seats all around the theater. But this woman comes in and tromps over the man to sit next to me. And takes up all of her seat and then some. Not because she was all that big, though she wasn't tiny, but because she had her jacket and elbows and arms and hands and hair all over the place. Right before the movie started folks sat on Lovey's other side so we couldn't really move down. So, Lovey and I watched the whole movie leaning slightly to the left. The woman wasn't quite in her right mind. Trying to chat with me during the previews and a good portion of the movie. About all kinds of things that made no sense to me at all. I kind of got where she was coming from with the cannibal talk as it sort of tied into the movie, at times, maybe. But most of the rest of it made no sense. Then, at the end of the movie Lovey fled and I turned my head to the right. The woman had bent over, I think to pick something up, and her pants fell down. And her panty clad ass was about an inch or two from my face. I was kind of horrified. She was not. It was an interesting movie going experience.

I can't wait to see what happens at WarGames.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Mandy
WAR GAMES... I forgot about that movie... many years ago Mark & I were in the theater watching and I heard this voice I knew... and the guy who tries to break open the door when they are hacking the computer - is GARY SEXTON. A classmate o mine from Franktucky. I knew he went to hollywood to become a star - but this was at least 10 years after I graduated. I forgot myself and I yelled THAT"S GARY SEXTON!! Mark didn't believe me until the credits.
Gary was also in The Border with Jack Nicleson. Sadly soon after the temptations of CA were too much and I think he lives once again in frankfort working in a sheltered workshop.
love you, Aunti M