Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I hate the Red Sox

I hate the Red Sox. I hate them so much. I hate their horrible, horrible hair. I hate how they must drag these playoffs out the way that they do. I hate that they cause me such stress. I hate that fucking Trot Nixon. Fucking Trot. Hate, hate, hate. Hate the Red Sox. Bad, bad Red Sox. Bad!

I cannot get those first three words from the Team America theme out of my head. Seriously. All day long I'm at work with "A-mer-i-ca, Fuck Yeah!" going on a constant loop in the back of my head. I know that at some point I'll just start singing it out loud. And then I'll get the funny looks again. I hate the funny looks. But I hate the Red Sox more. Damn Red Sox.

I just finished rereading Valley of the Dolls. Amusing book. Depressing book. I can't really remember much of the movie, but I always picture Patty Duke as Neely O'Hara when I read it. The whole evil people and drug abuse stuff aside, the book really depresses me because of the whole 'woman needs man' theme. It' so offensive. That all women desperately want to get married on some level. That a man has to be the one to support the family even if the woman has millions. That a woman needs to be married to be successful. Even if you have piles of money and a great career you're something to be pitied without a husband. And then the idea that men cheat because they're men. It's just what they do. Women accept it and move on. So gross. So very, very gross. Blech. I think the thing I really like about the book is that pills (especially sleeping pills) are called dolls. It's a habit my family has picked up, for no reason I can explain. We just call sleeping pills dolls. Like last night Mom told me to just take some dolls and go to bed.

We have lots of little in jokes, the folks and I. Like Dad and I often do a whole, "Let us go then you and I" schtick whenever we're heading off somewhere. We've done that since before I ever read the poem. It's weird and dorky, but a funny family thing. We often call Dad Sparky or Clark because of a whole Wally World/National Lampoon's Vacation thing we have going. We have our dolls. We have little nicknames and jokes and things like that. We have jokes about Dad's girlfriend and now his boyfriend (usually his roommates) and Mom's boyfriend - though now that he's going to be a father and all she hardly ever talks to him which takes all the fun out of that joke. Most of the time they make no sense to anyone else and often convince others that we are not a healthy family. But we really are. It's just our weird sense of humor. I like the fact that our brains are twisted in the same way. Drugs and poetry and mockery bringing us closer. Good times.

No comments: