Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Actual Advice!!! - The Thank You Note

Okay, someone actually came to my blog from a search for "thank you notes for houseguests".  I cannot tell you how happy that makes me.  It's even better than someone finding this blog using "happy fuzzy bunny puppies".  Because I love the thank you note.  I do. 
 
I used to hate the thank you note.  It was something my mother made me do every June and December and it made me sad.  I would get a day or so of leeway and then I was locked in my room after every birthday and Christmas until the damn notes were done.  But eventually I figured out that the thank you note is a glorious thing and everyone should write them.  A little bit of advice; if you're asking yourself if you should write one or not, you should do it.  In fact, you should probably start asking yourself that question more often than not. 
 
A thank you note lets a gift giver know that their gift arrived.  Sometimes things don't make it where they're supposed to make it.  It happens.  A thank you note puts someone's mind at ease about that.  It's also just a really nice thing to do.  Someone who gives you a gift to celebrate your birth or their love for you or a milestone should be told just how much you appreciate that.  If someone opens their home to you and gives you food and clean towels and warmth and hospitality they deserve a pretty little note that tells them that they rock.  It's the nice thing to do. 
 
If someone gives you a gift in person then a verbal thank you at that time usually suffices.  But if it's a grandparent  they still deserve a note after the fact.  Because they're your grandparents and they adore you and they love thank you notes.  I'm 30 and I think my thank you notes still get put on the fridge in my grandmothers' homes.  Also, if it's someone who lives far away or someone you don't see very often they should probably get a verbal thank you at the time of the good deed/gift and then a mailed thank you later.
 
Spanky had us all out to her family's 'summer home' one weekend.  It was awesome.  Her parents put up with us for a weekend and her Mom even treated us to a fish fry.  So when my friends and I got back I insisted on writing a thank you note and making them sign it.  Her mother was apparently thrilled beyond reason and declared me to have been 'raised right'.  I love that story.  I had a wonderful time at their house and they were good to us and I'm so happy that me letting her know that made her so happy.  You know?
 
And a late thank you note is better than none at all so don't think you can procrastinate until you don't have to write one anymore.  Doesn't work like that.  Write the dam note.  Now.
 
Thank you notes are easy too.  There's even a bit of a formula to it.  Thank the person for the gift or kind act.  Talk about what you plan to do with the gift or how nice it is or how much the kind act meant to you.  Put in a little about the event that prompted the gift or act.  Put in a little bit more about you and what you're up to if you have room and then wish the gift giver/do gooder well.  Thank them again.  Sign off.  See, totally easy.  You can do it!  As can I.  I owe a couple right now.  I've inspired myself to finish them all!

No comments: