Tuesday, July 20, 2004

A Visit With Dad

So, after Birthday Week came a day free of stuff.  Then Dad arrived.  Arrival Day has already been blogged about.
 
On Day Two, we apparently had a bit of a date night.  Without making out.  Because he’s my DAD.  I came home from work to find the man passed out in my hammock.  So cute.  Earlier he’d told me he wasn’t really a hammock guy.  So when I didn’t see him in the apartment I figured he’d be chillin’ in the swing or off on a walk.  Instead he was in the hammock with his RV catalog beside him, his hands clasped on his chest and his cigar clutched in his fingers.  Luckily for him, my hammock and my yard the cigar had gone out.  I was torn between wanting to wake him up quietly and running back inside to get my camera.  The gentle waking won out.  Alas.  I think I made the wrong choice because the photo would’ve been awesome.
 
Anyway.  We got all pretty and headed off to the Zombie Hut for drinks.  Lots of tropical things with dolphins and umbrellas and such in them.  And bowls of goldfish that Dad and I kept trying not to inhale, but weren’t so successful.  Dad and I tend to graze on whatever is in front of us.  Not good.  But it’s who we are.  Cows who graze.  It was a nice little happy hour.  We had a table right by the window and drank and grazed and chatted and people watched.  Pretty awesome.  Then it was off to The Grocery for a nice dinner.  It’s a very zen like kinda feel.  Minimalist decoration and all.  I was facing the restaurant so I at least got to see patrons and staff.  I hadn’t realized it until the end but Dad was facing me and a wall and wasn’t quite getting the same visual stimulation.  But the food was good and the wine was good and we had a nice time. 
 
Day Three was a little more mellow.  Just some hanging around the apartment puttering and eating take-out from Buddy’s Burritos.  Which was nice.  I like that my folks come to visit and we can just hang and don’t have to spend every moment trying to do some exciting activity. 
 
Then on Friday he headed back home and I headed to work and then LA.  Woo.

No comments: