Wednesday, December 08, 2004

I'm an ancient crone.

So... a friend of mine and I were chatting on the phone last night. And he managed to make me feel like an old lady. Talking about 'older women' (basically women in their 30s and possibly even, gasp!, older). How they all have their biological clocks ticking and they all want to get married. How you have to be leery of dating them because there's no time to date them and relax because they're just hungry for a husband and babies. Apparently he feels I'm different because I'm all take it or leave it about marriage. "You're just eh about marriage. 'Maybe I'll get married, maybe I won't. It's not going to happen soon...'". But I'm still in the same age group as these older women. And I'm not like other women (me being 'not like other girls' is a rant for another day.)

Also, older women (us 30something gals again) can sometimes relax when they find out they can sleep with younger guys and feel all bad ass about themselves.

"So, you're saying that us older gals find validation in sleeping with younger guys?"

"Yeah."

"Putz!"

In my head: "Heaven forbid we do it because younger guys are a lot better in bed than your sorry ass. No, no, no. We do it because we're old and haggard and have to find validation in boys and men and marriage and breeding."

(Daddy, this is all hypothetical as I have no idea how boys of any age are in bed. This is all just based on what I've heard and my righteous feminist ire.)

I don't know. It just annoyed me. Even though he kept insisting I was different and all, it made me angry I don't like this idea of women needing to mate and breed and be reassured of who we are largely by who we can woo into bed and con into marriage. And it also made me feel old. Well, no. I don't feel old. It made me feel that I'm in a group that is now considered old. That there are people out there who think that about me. And it pissed me off.

Putz.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Yeah, well, what pisses me off is the idea that women "con" men into marriage. Apparently, no man would ever get married and settle down if it weren't for us evil women and our devious, manipulative ways.

And wouldn't that be better for society as a whole? If we left men alone to wallow in their dirty socks and take-out pizza until they were too old to dial a phone? And god forbid anyone should ever want to have a baby. That might result in the procreation of the human race!

Horrors!

A guy asked me the other day what percentage of what I say to men is devious or calculating. Swallowing my rant about men who think women are "out to get them", I told him he was asking the wrong girl, as I have no use for men like that, and have only been using them like tissue for the last few years, that in fact a man would have to try pretty hard to "trap" me. He was stunned into silence. Seriously, this is why I wish I were a lesbian.