Thursday, October 28, 2004

Did something happen last night?

So. Last night. Lots of things happened last night.

Rock Star Fran had a show with her girl band at the Knitting Factory. In the bowls of the Knitting Factory actually, also known as Old Office. So, I went to that. Monkey Man from work was going with me but had to work until 7. So I stuck around earning my paycheck for a couple extra hours, grabbed dinner with him and then headed to the show. Another interesting girl from work was there, a bar was there and Fran's honey was performing as well so time-killing before the main event wasn't a problem. Actually, I don't think they were technically the main event of the night, but they were for me. And in my blog, it's all about me.

Fran rocked her little heart out like the rock star she is and I had a good time. She was even wearing a skirt and sassy fishnets and everything. Though she outed me as a perv to the whole audience. She was playing drums for one song and was using a sweatshirt as a 'privacy shield' so she wouldn't flash the audience. Then she told the audience that AMANDA would rather she just flash everyone. A comment which met with dead silence if I recall correctly. I pondered shouting a big ole "WOO" at that point but had only had one beer and thus enough sense to not do that. So, now you know. I'm a Kenny Loggins lovin', privacy shield hatin' perv. Who hates the Red Sox. Who?

After the show Monkey Man and I headed out so he could call and wish his mom a happy birthday (like the forgetful slacker he is) and I could go home to watch some thing that was on the TV, I don't remember what, but there was something I wanted to get home and watch, hmmmmm... I'd totally forgotten about the eclipse, but we walked out and there it was. Just a tiny sliver of the moon was yet to be covered. So we decided to stand in the street and gawk. It was cool. Though not as cool as the solar eclipse I saw in Hawaii in '91. But still good. Monkey Man got some dumb work call at that point so he did that and I stared at the moon, while standing in the street, leaning against construction piling. I know how to have a good time. Oh yes, oh yes I do.

Anyway, eventually he wrapped that up, the moon got covered and looked cool and we headed home. So I could turn on my TV. And watch the sadness. Ah, the sadness.

They looked so happy though. The unwashed, long-haired, scary little Red Sox players. And it is a huge thing. They won the World Series. For the first time in 86 years. By winning their last 8 post-season games in a row. And my Red Sox fan friends are delirious. And that's awesome. And I'm trying very hard to be happy for them. Through the phone calls, the emails, the gloating and the mocking. Because I know it's going to be another 86 years before they do it again. A person should only have to suffer one Red Sox World Series title in their lifetime. This was mine. I accept that. And I'm ready to move on to the next season.

No comments: