Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Yo' mama

I keep saying yo' mama to about 75% of the questions I get asked lately and I probably need to stop. At least at work. Most of my friends seem to know to humor me. For their own sakes. Fear the Wrath of Amanda. Yeah, fear it.

I love the iPod. The iPod doesn't judge me when I need a little Bon Jovi and Cher and Duran Duran to get me through my day. Or even a little Kenny Loggins. Though iPod does allow me to quickly find out that I have twelve Kenny Loggins sons on there. Dear god. Maybe Rock Star Fran was right. Maybe I am Kenny Loggins'esqe. I don't even have a CD of the Top Gun soundtrack to put on there. Not even any Caddyshack. This is all Footloose and that Return to Pooh Corner CD.

Okay, let me explain the Pooh Corner CD. I was dating a guy for a long time who loved Winnie the Pooh. And I loved the guy. So I went along with this mad Pooh love even though I don't feel it myself. I like the Winnie the Pooh ride at DisneyWorld and Pooh is cute and all, but it wasn't much of a childhood thing for me. But it was for him. So I helped mend his little Pooh doll. And tolerated the equating of my love of pigs & Disney into Piglet love. And got the Return to Pooh Corner CD with that Pooh song on it. It also had All the Pretty Little Horses on it too though, which Mom sang to me when I was a kid. But, well, yes. I have a whole Kenny Loggins CD of children's songs. I am such a freakin' loser. I'm so embarrassed. Now I'm judging me in a way iPod never would.

The Pretty Little Horses song is a little different from the version Mom sang to me anyway. But I like it and it's the only version of the song I have. It wasn't my favorite Mommy song, but it's in the top ten. My favorite was Polly Von. But I would only let her sing it to me sometimes. Because it always made me cry. I thought it was a really, really pretty song and loved the way my mom sang it, but sometimes I just couldn't handle such a sad song. Though really, it's kind of a silly song. A hunter goes out, sees a swan, shoots it and then it turns out it was his girlfriend and not a swan. And she dies. I know, it's weird, but I liked it. And still do. 'Cause my Mommy sang it to me. She also sang Puff the Magic Dragon and Where Have All the Flowers Gone and For Baby, For Bobbie (I think). We were a very Peter, Paul & Mary kinda house. And now I sing those songs to kids I babysit and sang them at nap time when I was working at the local day care while in college. And probably will sing them to my kids, when I have them.

Hippies are contagious, don'cha know?

No comments: