Thursday, November 04, 2004

Dealing with it all

Yesterday was a bad day. I'm still very sad and shocked about Kerry's loss. In fact, Lovey even told her boss that I was "despondent" yesterday. He is as well, so he understood. We commiserated a little on the phone this morning and he said he was staying in Singapore for good now. Just joking though. We would never leave our country. I wouldn't. Much that I talk about moving with PimpDaddy to New Zealand now, I'm not abandoning the place I love so much to the right-wing zealots who are all about bullshit 'morality'. And it's not like I'm alone in my views. Yesterday Muppet and I went out for coffee/smoke breaks every hour or so to just kind of vent a little. There was & is a lot of discussion in the office over what this means for the country and the world and what we can do. Rock Star Fran and I had a lovely diner lunch where we pissed and moaned and tried to cheer each other up. And everyone kept asking me to do things last night because they were worried about my mental state and wanted to cheer me up. Which was sweet. Knowing I wasn't alone and all. Though, I am in the minority now, it seems. Which feels weird. Last night a friend commented that he was having a hard time grasping the idea that he disagrees with over half the country. That over half the country thinks in a totally different way from him. And it's hard to wrap your head around that. I totally agree. It's a strange thing. Because I just cannot comprehend what is going on in the mind of over half my countrymen.

But I think I'm starting to ease out of the shock and mourning phase and am trying to get into a place where I can start thinking about what to do to make things more like I think they should be.

Last night was really nice. Took my mind off things and I even started having a good day. I met Meat Boy for dinner at a noodle place in the Village. He's an old friend from high school that I don't see often enough. He lives in New York but we only get together a couple times a year it seems. Hopefully we can start changing that. He's a great guy and has a darling wife and we have a lot of fun.

Anyway, we had dinner and caught up on things and grabbed a beer at the Crow and talked and laughed for a few hours. It was a nice mix of conversation. I sometimes worry with older friends I don't see often that it might not work out. That we'll spend the whole time not being comfortable anymore or that we won't talk about anything but the good old days with a little bit of catching up tossed in. That it won't be a real conversation between friends. But this was a real conversation. We talked about the election. And luckily he was a Kerry supporter too. I don't think I could've handled a dinner of gloating or anything. We also talked about books and New York and Sims (apparently they can 'woo hoo' now - I don't know, I've never played) and watched a little Pulp Fiction at the bar. We talked some about high school and how stupid we were and probably still are. We caught up a little on old friends. And it was just a really nice night. I laughed a lot. Which I needed after moping all morning and afternoon. Though it did mean I got home after 11 and did not get that much needed early bedtime. So worth it.

And as an extra special bonus, working last night was one of the old bartenders from the time when I went to the Stoned Crow almost weekly. He's a fun one and I hadn't seen him in at least a couple of years. It seems like almost the entire staff has turned over and that makes me sad. Especially since the bartender/waiter I crushed on the most hasn't been around in forever. Not that we were really sure he was straight, but he was so pretty and I got hugs and all. I'm such a shallow, superficial girl. Anyway, it was nice to see that guy there. He's not exactly hard on the eyes either.

Bartenders must get so much play.

In other sad news, Kerry still hasn't win the election. And Beyonce has decided she no longer wants to participate in the reading program. Apparently she's older now and wants to hang with her friends on the playground at lunch rather than read with me. Which kind of breaks my heart a little. I loved doing math with her and reading and giggling. But I can understand. I think. They're going to get me someone else, hopefully starting next week. I hope they like me.

No comments: