Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I Voted

I voted today. I was up at 6:30AM and off to the PS29 before 7AM. And I was totally giddy about it. Beautiful fall day, saw lots of my neighbors walking to the polling place as well, passed by a "Vote Kerry" pumpkin on a stoop, saw a kid playing ball while waiting for his dad to vote. It made me excited and a little hopeful. Mostly I've been terrified about this election. I can't believe it's going to be so close, that there's a chance that Bush could win. And I get scared thinking about what four more years of Bush will do to this country, to me, to the world. I don't like it. But I went and did my part. I've tried to convince others to do theirs. And now I just kind of have to sit and wait.

What is the world going to think of us if we re-elect Bush? I saw some European high school aged kids chattering on the subway yesterday and one of them had an anti-Bush button on. A friend of my mother's in Germany said everyone she knows over there is just in awe that we could do the wrong thing and re-elect Bush. I just hope we don't do it. And I hope that it's not a big mess and a super close race that goes on for days. And weeks. And months.

Ugh. Now my hopeful giddiness has worn off.

No comments: