Monday, August 15, 2005

Thickness in the heart

So, it turns out I am too fat.

I haven't been a skinny little thing since I was a little girl. And a little while after that I was curvy and mostly happy with my body. Well, I was a girl growing up in America so of course I dieted and stressed about my weight and hated my thighs. It's a rite of passage these days. Sadly. But really, I was cute and all. In great shape; dancing, running around, active, not eating too badly. It was all good.

And then in college it started to go wrong. I'm not entirely sure why. Probably because of a whole bunch of things, as is usually the case. I wasn't dancing anymore. I spent more time being still than I used to. I developed horrible eating habits and learned I was capable of consuming whole bags of chips. I got older so my metabolism probably shifted some. I also just started to do fewer and fewer active things. So... I gained a lot of weight.

And I moved to New York. And went through much stress. And lost a bit of the weight. And it was good. But then, I went back to the bad college habits with twice the vigor. Consuming huge amounts of crap all the time. Spending lots and lots of time home in front of a computer and/or TV. Hermiting more than usual. Working at a desk job for 8-12 hours a day. Nothing scary. I have friends, I go out, I eat the occasional fruits and vegetables. It's not good. But it's not so bad I'd end up in a special interest story on fat hermits or something.

But that might be part of the problem. It was bad, but not so bad I worried much about it. I'd want to lose weight to be a little healthier or to be able to go hiking on harder trails or to look pretty or get massive amounts of sex (just kidding, Daddy). But it wasn't a huge thing for me. I've always kinda thought I was still cute and it's not like I can't do lots of physical stuff.

But, I've been to the doctor now. And at first he seemed happy about my attitude. I think he sees a lot of anorexics and bulimics and wasn't used to someone like me. Who has the opposite problem. Instead of seeing myself as fat even if I'm thin, I still have the idea that I'm the thinner girl I once was. I don't think I've ever truly seen how fat I am. Even when I think about how much I weigh, it didn't phase me. It didn't seem real. I would hear about people who looked huge and kind of unhealthy and they would weigh less than me and I would ignore that. Pshaw.

But I can't really Pshaw that now. Now I have to really look at my body. I'm not healthy It's not okay and I'm not able to go on like before, eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted (which is all the time). 'Cause I finally went to see a doctor for a physical. And we did some tests.

Now, it's nothing to freak out over. Right now I'm actually mostly healthy. But, all signs point to some seriously ugly health issues down the road. My blood work, my thyroid ulstrasound and my echocardiogram all show that if I don't fix things fast I'm well on the way to diabetes and heart disease, two of the very limited number of illnesses that do run in my family. And this has all scared the crap out of me. My doctor is a nice guy and keeps reminding me that I am healthy now. Which is good. But the echo showed I have some "thickness" in my heart. The hell. My god. I don't care how healthy I currently am. Hearing that freaked the fuck out of me. And thinking about it now it still scares me.

But, I need to keep a grip and remember that I'm lucky because I can fix this. The majority of this can be stopped and possibly even reversed if I just get my fat ass in shape. It's scary, but it's all under my control right now. If I sensibly lose weight and get more active I can fix this. And so I'm going to try. I've tried before and failed. Miserably. But now I have "thickness" in my heart. And hopefully that'll get me to where I need to be.

I also have a lot of support. Sheena and Lovey and Muppet all let me obsess about food and exercise as much as I want at work. Sheena is even cracking the whip over what I eat while I'm at work. Bitch made me give up half & half and mayo on my Subway sandwiches and American cheese on my breakfast burritos. And for that I hate her. And love her. Turnip is letting me vent and moan and whine and cry and is in it with me. And when it gets really hard my Mom is there to remind me that she had a heart attack and could've died and gave up smoking (a habit she had for longer than I've been alive) and I'm just being a damn pussy about the cheetos. Though she doesn't quite use those words. And I think when more folks figure out what's going on with me they'll probably be pretty good too. And won't make too many faces when I become that girl who can't talk about anything but food and calories. Oh dear god. Don't let me be that girl. Though, I guess right now I'd rather be that girl than the girl I will be if I don't get it together.

So. There you go. Just thought I'd share.

No comments: