Friday, August 08, 2008

More Movies

So, for WarGames I got to be the one to sit next to the crazies. Actually, they weren't crazy, but they were very angry.

We got to the theater and there was a HUGE line at the door to our particular theater. Which we thought a little odd, but not too odd. WarGames is a fantastic movie after all. The food line was bad too so I went to get food while Vader waited in the theater line. Everyone in my food line was on their phone so I called Vader just so I wouldn't feel left out. I told her this and the guy in front of me thought I was pretty funny. Not that he got off the phone to chat with me or anything. So, that doesn't work as a pick up line.

Anyway, we realized I had both tickets with me so we decided Vader would call me when they started seating us, if it looked like they were checking tickets. A little while later she came up to me and said that the line that seemed to start right at the door of our theater was NOT for WarGames. We never found out for sure what it was for, but we suspect The Dark Knight in the theater next to ours. Even though it was a Tuesday and almost two weeks after that movie opened. Right then I got our food so we booked it to the theater. The BEST seats were gone, but there were decent ones down front. A nice man let us climb over him though he was worried I was going to dump soda and popcorn on him. I did not, but I did drop a dollar bill on his lap. He said that was perfectly fine. And then he nicely gave us the dollar back. I wandered off to get butter for our popcorn (yes, I know that's not helping me lose weight) and Vader let him read the
Wired article on WarGames as a thank you for tolerating all of our climbing.

I came back and we got all settled and were hanging out waiting for the movie to start. About five minutes prior a man and woman came and sat next to me. They had to climb over us and our nice man to get to the seats and the woman was very annoyed at this. But really, you come to a movie five minutes before the start and the odds aren't good you'll get a choice aisle seat. Whatever. They sat down and they seemed to know the people in front of them and possibly the people behind them. A little chatty group.


Now, I would like you to know that the ad that first brought this viewing to our attention advertised this as a WarGames 25th Anniversary event with never before seen interviews and clips from the sequel (straight to video, do not want to see). When I searched for the event online that was clearly started as well. The same when I purchased tickets. And when we were waiting for the movie to start, every minute or so the screen would flash the event ad/sign along with the mention of never before seen interviews and clips from the sequel.


So, the lights dim and the previews start. Then the lights go out and the featurette starts with interviews and clips. And the woman in my row is LIVID. She is very, very angry they're showing this featurette that they advertised all over the place. At one point early on she shrieks, "Just show the movie!!!" Now, I am enjoying the featurette. Fun stuff in it and all. Everyone else seems to be chuckling and having a good time as well. Except the chatty crew to my left. The woman in front of us yells, "They're ruining it!!" Now, they did have clips from the movie in there, but I've seen trailers that revealed more of a movie. Also, they did show Joshua's last screen, but not for long and if you haven't actually seen the movie I can't imagine the screen making enough sense to give anything away. But this group was freaking out. Finally midway through they calmed down and just decided to ignore what was going on onscreen, just chatting and typing on their blackberries. Bah.


So, the movie started and all was well. I've never seen it on the big screen before so Vader and I were having a blast. But, right when they're trying to get off the island the movie stopped. Annoying, but hardly the end of the world. I thought the woman in our row was going to have a heart attack she was so upset. Lots of people got up, to tell a manager, get some snacks, hit the head, whatever. Vader and I stayed seated because 207 people do not need to get up and tell the manager the movie is out. We figured it would get worked out or we'd be told otherwise. The woman next to me kept turning around and looking at the projection booth and spitting out, "No one is BACK there!" and huffing. Of course she made NO effort to get up or have one of her group get up to talk to anyone. She just huffed.


Within a couple of minutes a manager came out and told us all that the satellite went out and the event folks were working on it. The theater wasn't showing the movie it was a nationwide event so this was going on all over the country, not just with us. But it would be up shortly. Some folks yelled out we should get free food or something but everyone laughed (except the woman in my row) and within a couple more minutes the movie was going again. And it was awesome.


I had a great time and loved seeing the movie on the big screen. I know technology has come so far since then, but I still think it's a kickass flick. I just feel bad the angry woman couldn't enjoy it. Luckily she didn't ruin it for us and now Vader and I have added, "They're RUINING the movie." to our collection of things to say when waiting for a movie to start.


We used it last weekend when I finally got to see The Dark Knight IMAX. I hadn't seen the movie yet because I wanted to see it on the IMAX screen first. And I'm so glad I waited. Don't know what it was like on a regular screen but seeing it on the giant glory that is the IMAX was lovely. Though it took some effort. Tickets in New York were selling out like mad. Vader and I tried to get tickets earlier, but within a day of being available everything but the 4:30AM shows were selling out. And some of the 9:30AM weekday ones. But, finally, on a Tuesday, I got tickets for a Sunday show, which was sold out by Wednesday.


Bon Jovi joined us and we thought about getting there at noon for a 1:15 movie. We weren't sure if that was too early or too late and decided to go for 11:30AM feeling kind of like nerds. Well, I did. Vader has seen first or almost first showings of the recent Star Wars movies so she sorta thought we were lightweights. (And yes, she is going to the first showing of Clone Wars next week. I tease her lots, but I think it's kinda cool she loves Star Wars so much and knows so much about it.) But, we got there at 11:30 and there were already 10-20 folks in line ahead of us. By the time noon rolled around the line was huge and out the door and down the stairs. So, 11:30 worked. We got great seats and settled in for the awesomeness that is The Dark Knight. Good times. And it was kind of fun watching people enter the theater around 12:30 or so and see that it was already packed, with the only available seats on the ends or down front.

Of course, after all my line waiting drama I made Vader get to the waterfalls cruise last night ridiculously early. We WERE first in line. But we were first in line for a good 20 minutes so... At least we always have something to talk about. And she was a very good sport.


Hopefully there won't be any drama for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. Maybe if I go on Monday during the day...

3 comments:

Maggie said...

OMG! I want to see Sisterhood 2! Not that I saw the first one, I'm just so in love with Blake Lively and all things Gossip Girl.

Maybe we can see next weekend when you're up here? Also, please remind me, when are we going to the Waterfalls?

Manda said...

I've read the first three books and seen the first movie. I really like 'em all. Gotta get the fourth book though.

We have tickets for the 3:30PM waterfalls cruise on September 14th. But we have to be there WAY early to pick up the tickets and line up and board and all.

Maggie said...

In the calendar yet again. Yay!