Thursday, March 25, 2004

Band & Band Camp: Geek or not? Geek. Of course.

So yesterday we ran off to the old alma mater so Muffy could inform a whole new group of folks about my showering habits, matching underwear compulsion and appreciation of olives. Good times. I think whatever credibility I had as an upstanding fraternity board member is gone. I am powerless in front of the undergrads now. Or something. Yeah, like I had any respect from them before.

Yesterday was pretty awesome. Starting the day off with an egg and cheese biscuit really is a good thing. Then Bon Jovi and fabulous chatting on a lovely drive with gorgeous sunny weather. Muffy really is entertaining on a road trip. And I did get her to drive on the way to Connecticut so rock on with my bad self on that one. We made it in time for lunch so I could sample the new chef's cooking and get abused by the youngins. One of 'em even called me OLD PERSON and didn't seem to be doing it with any sense of whimsy. And while Walt Disney World may think I'm well-preserved, 18-21 year old college kids do NOT agree and are vocal about it. Troublemakers the lot of 'em. Luckily there was cake. And the mall. And some of my buddies. And my little stewards.

We wandered around campus some and Muffy got all nostalgic. For some reason it didn't feel any different to me than when I was there. I think I just can't be bothered to grow up or something. Don't know. But it was pretty awesome to be wandering around campus with a friend on a lovely Spring day without having to dash to class.

We ended the evening by watching a D&D game for a couple of hours. Heh. Muffy had to drink for one of the players who was on anti-biotics and couldn't drink. Pretty much putting me on return driving duty, which really was only fair... And I could see how the bourbon would help with the game watching. It was actually kind of amusing. Though a few of the players kept getting yelled at because they were chatting with us and not following the game. Oops. I could never play the game. I'd want to giggle and snark too much and would be yelled at by the Dungeon Master. Hee hee hee. The Dungeon Master. Hee.

It was a nice day. I'm totally not describing it well I don't think, but it was just a fun time. And it was even spring like. Of course NOW it is rainy and cooler. Fucking March. Pissing me off.

I'm totally nervous about testing on Saturday and I have no idea why. It's actually kinda hard to fail a test. I know my stuff and while still out of shape I should be able to do most things fairly well. I know the pattern and all. But I'm still nervous. I think it's largely because I feel so out of shape and know that'll keep things from being perfect and I hate not being perfect. I hate not thinking I'm nailing stuff or that I'm not the best or whatever. I don't know what it is about me, but that's just the way it is. I'm trying to accept that it won't be perfect on Saturday but it'll be good and I'll pass and get my green stripe and then will be much, much better when it comes time to do the green belt test. Though I'm noticing that I'm going to be out of town for both the May and June tests and have no clue when I'll be testing for my green belt. Dammit!

The Mall is very empty at 3PM on a Wednesday. Eerily so. In case you wanted to know. Still fun though.

No comments: