Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Have a Great Summer!

Today was my last reading buddy day of the school year. And so I'm a little sad. Little Beyonce and I drank blue Capri Sun and ate donuts. And her little friend joined us. Her friend sometimes joins us because her adult reading buddy is a tool and sometimes just doesn't show up. Which sucks. When that happens she joins us and we read and giggle and play hangman - where they put the names of their boyfriends as the word. Heh. Today we read Chapter One of Judy Blume's Blubber. Everyone agreed that the other fifth graders were very mean and we all felt bad for poor Linda/Blubber. I also got a couple cute pictures of Beyonce and her friend as well as one of just me and Beyonce.

We did have a bit of an odd moment. Beyonce had a few of those rubber bracelets that were all the rage when I was 10 and are now making a fierce comeback. She and her buddy were explaining to me that Beyonce's bracelets didn't mean anything but that the older kids, like the high school kids, refer to them as sex bracelets and different colors mean different things. Like black means sex and light blue means french kissing and lapdances. My god. I had a 10-year old say lapdances to me. But we all agreed that the sex bracelet thing was very stupid and that high schoolers are stupid and that they're just bracelets.

Since when do french kisses = lap dances? Huh? Since when?

I usually feel uncomfortable in such discussions with kids. I don't want to freak out and make it bigger than it is. But it's such a touchy subject with someone else's kids. If they were kids that I was related to and had any sort of control over or guardian type role with I could just be frank and normal. But you can't just be frank about sex with someone else's kids. Especially when you only see them about 30 times a year. So, I try to just gloss it over and move on to something else as best I can. I am glad that they agree that sex bracelets is a dumb idea. Because, well, it is.

Speaking of Dumb Ideas... This Ed's Shirt thing has gone mad. Pimp Daddy and I have been fussing with Ed'sShirt's Friendster profile for the past couple of days. Fishboy is setting up Whereisedsshirt.com and is working on "Where Is Ed's Shirt?" shirts (awesome idea I think). Muffaletta is wandering around New Orleans showing Ed's Shirt the sites. It's all really very exciting. And silly. Though I am wondering when it will be a good time to reveal all of this to the Ed of Ed's Shirt fame. Maybe it's best just not to and wait see if someone else does it. I wondered if it would just end with 50 or so photos of people wearing Ed's Shirt at Reunion this past weekend. That's apparently not the case. Heh.

No comments: