Wednesday, December 01, 2004

No Nudity Burlesque

Apparently, I feel safer with my attack cat on my pillow, wrapped around my head. I figure she'll see the imaginary spiders first and kill them and I will be all better. You'll all be relieved to know that last night, after an initial bit of mild hysteria, I calmed down and slept just fine in my bed. With no spider attacks. And eventually allowed my attack cat to roam around the apartment on her own. To pretty much attack the non-attack cat. Poor non-attack cat. Though, actually, the non-attack cat will sometimes attack the attack cat. So she can hold her own.

Ugh. I will not be that girl who babbles about her cats. Any more than I already have.

Last night I went with Muppet to see a performance of the dance troupe she works with. Which was interesting. But first we went Christmas Card shopping (yay, one thing to cross off the to do list) and got me some sassy and some sedate cards to send out this year. Muppet was amazed at how much I'm willing to spend for my Christmas fetish. And I sorta felt a little embarrassed about it. But whatever. I love doing the cards and letters and getting them and the holidays and tra la la la la. Then we grabbed dinner and off to The Slipper Room for the show.

The place was really cute. Small stage but a fun atmosphere. And we got a table right in the front. For the Burlesque. Sadly, there were no boobies. There seems to be a trend in New York lately of not so sexy and/or not so naked Burlesque. Burlesque with a statement. Which I guess is sorta what burlesque does, with the mocking and the funny. But there should be naked and sexy along with it I thought. Maybe not. Or maybe it's just the people I know who do non-naked, not so sexy burlesque. I don't know. ANYWAY...

Some of the pieces were ones I saw back in March. Some were new. And like when I saw this group in March, some of the pieces I liked, some I did not and most were a little on the odd side. They did a Twister themed dance that was okay, but I LOVED the costumes for it. Made completely out of ribbon, tulle and Twister games. And there's one with a french song and lots of hand gesture stuff that I kind of like. There was one that I found interesting. To the song that goes, "If I knew you were coming, I'd've baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake..." They started out in ruffled bottoms with bread roll bikini tops. They put crisco and eggs and flour and water all over themselves and in a bowl, made dough, took off their tops (facing AWAY from the audience), covered their breasts with dough and lay back down in the positions they started in. Anyway, I had a fun time with Muppet and am glad I went. Even if sleep probably would've been the wiser plan for the evening. But hopefully that will be tonight. After the to do list and possible fudge making...

No comments: