Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Iwo Jima

So, I recently started reading Flags of our Fathers. The ads for the movie have sort of reminded me of my interest in Iwo Jima. I mentioned something about the book when I was in Raleigh with my Dad and he said he liked it. Though he said he liked Flyboys better. So, I bought both books and am starting with Flags.

Back in the Spring of 1995 my then boyfriend and I were trying to get to Honolulu for Spring Break with my folks. This was before Continental started its Newark to Honolulu direct flight so we had to go through Houston or California. Getting to California was a piece of cake for standby passengers (back when I was a dependant and could fly for cheap all the time), but getting from LA or San Fran to Honolulu was a nightmare. After trying for a couple of days to get out of LA my Dad hit town to fly a charter flight from LA to Honolulu. The policy is to not allow standby passengers on charter flights, but Dad asked one of the organizers if it was okay if his kid and her boyfriend could get on the flight in any open seats (with our promise we'd be the most polite and well-behaved travelers ever). The group kindly allowed us on.

The charter was for marines, veterans, going back to Iwo Jima for the 50th Anniversary. My boyfriend and I weren't seated next to each other, but I got to sit next to a lovely man named Milt. And it was probably one of the best flights I've ever had. He was a sweet guy and offered to be an adopted grandfather of sorts if I wanted. He had a video camera and filmed me. At one point they opened the cockpit and allowed the guys to chat with the pilots so he filmed my dad. He filmed my boyfriend and the flight attendants and the movie screen showing the flight stats. We exchanged addresses and kept in touch for a little bit. He even sent me a copy of the tape he'd made. With the flight. And then with the ceremonies on Iwo Jima.

At the time I didn't really know much about Iwo Jima. History wasn't a strong subject for me back then, much my to my father's dismay I suspect. But these were interesting guys on this plane. And the battle seemed to bring back powerful memories for them. And then the more I heard about it, the more it fascinated me. The large number of casualties. The large number of American soldiers, the hold the Japanese had on the island. The battle strategy. Just amazing to me. But beyond watching Milt's tape and the occasional quick internet search I didn't really do too much to find out more. And I want to.


So, for now I'm reading
Flags. And rewatching Milt's tape again knowing more about the battle than I did back when I first saw it. And while I'm liking the book, I'd like to read more. I'd like to read something that looks more at the battle as a whole, as Flags focuses more on the six individuals in that famous photograph. They certainly deserve their stories told. But so do all the other men who were on that island and involved in that battle. Let me know if you have any book suggestions. Or if you ever want to watch Milt's tape of the trip back and the ceremonies. It's a home movie, not some fancy edited documentary. But I'm glad I have a copy. And like most people who've become a part of my life, I'm glad I got to meet Milt.

No comments: