Thursday, March 23, 2006

Day Two

Well, it totally feels odd to have not gotten up early this morning to get dressed and follow the commute I've followed for years. It does NOT feel like a sick day. It feels like an unemployed day. So odd. Everyone is at work right now going about their business without me. And because I am small and petty I hope it's not an easy day for them. Heh.

I had dinner with Muppet and Bambi last night which was great. Nice to be able to piss and moan about it a lot but also nice to have folks around to talk about other stuff too. They were wonderful at being a good balance of that. Plus, we were at chat 'n chew so I got a belly full of grease. Who does NOT love onion ribbons? Really. So good. Also, it seems that I might be winning the prize for most shock inducing layoff. Even more than one whole team that was eliminated. Apparently everyone was shocked and surprised and at one point there was even a conversation about how much money the firm will lose for the first six months in lost productivity. How awesome is that? It still sucks to be laid off and have the world go on without you, but it's nice to know I'll be missed. It's nice to know that all the hard work and ideas I brought to that job didn't go unnoticed. My boss even called and said something about how my contributions to him and to the group weren't always appreciated but he really did appreciate everything I did to help him and the team. So, that, and my severance package, are helping to soften all this considerably.

Plus, everyone I know is so awesome. I'm getting lots of advice, offers from people to use their contacts, offers to hang or talk or anything like that. Steph and I might do lunch today. Monkey Man and I are hanging this weekend. Muffy and I are supposed to hang this weekend and she offered even more weekend time even though she's a crazed med student in the middle of rotations. Vader and I have plans for tonight. Mom is calling, family is sending concerned emails, Fishboy emailed me, Pumpkin left a voicemail, Turnip and Maggie are doing lots of Instant Message chatting and support, Lovey & Sheen are calling to fill me in about work and how upset they are about me leaving because they like me AND because all the work they'll now have to do. Lots of stuff like that. It's great to have such a nice support network at times like this.

Now I'm debating TV and cheetos or going to the gym. Hmmmm...

No comments: