Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Go Yankees!

The lovely Iolanthe took me to a Yankees game last night for my birthday, as sort of a pre-Birthday Week kick off event. I have now decided I need to find a wealthy Yankees fan and latch on to them for life. Her boss has awesome season tickets and gives them out to clients and folks in his office when he doesn't use them. Right behind home plate. I have never seen my boys so close up before. It's so much fun to see a game all the way down there. I'm going to just cry on Friday when we're all up in the nosebleed seats. At least we'll have beer then.

Yeah, last night was my first Yankees game ever without beer. We were in the middle of our section and could not get an order taker's attention to save our souls. Finally we got one at the end of the 6th inning. She tried telling us that we weren't in her section but when we almost cried she agreed to take our order. And we paid her. And we got our little ticket. And our food & beer NEVER came. Some asshole behind us was giving us a hard time and being a jackass and we suspect he took our food when his order was delivered. Just because he's evil and all. So, after the game, Iolanthe and I started the quest for some whining and our refund. We talked to an usher type who told us to wait and he'd get someone for us. Eventually he sent us to the gate to speak to a supervisor. Who took us through the crowd to one of the kitchens. Then we fought the crowd again as he took us upstairs to another kitchen. Then he left us there in someone else's hands. This guy made a couple calls and then sent us off with someone else to a third kitchen where some guy had us wait while he ran off elsewhere to get our $33. We would have preferred it if our food had just been delivered. And our beer. Well, my beer. Friday there will be much beer.

The game was a fun one though. Not too exciting, but not dull. And the Yankees won. Of course. And Iolanthe and I had a nice time gossiping and catching up. The guys next to us were very sweet. They went for beers and offered to pick stuff up for us if we wanted. But we thought we were getting food soon and turned them down. Foolish of us. Oh, and Steve Schirripa (Bobby 'Bacala' Baccalieri from the Sopranos) was there and sitting near us. Because we were that close to the field. Seriously. Do any of you know really wealthy Yankees fans whom I can leach onto? Hook me up. Help a girl out.

No comments: