Monday, June 19, 2006

Still Happy Birthday to Me

I had a lovely birthday. With the unemployed state and total flux of my life right now I wasn't really feeling into my birthday. Wasn't feeling the urge to plan a massive birthday week or crown myself Princess of Everything or whatever. My folks have been asking me what I want for a gift and I couldn't think of anything beyond rent money. I feel weird asking for birthday gifts when I'm trying hard not to spend lots of money these days. But, I knew I had to do something or I'd be very angry with myself later.

Saturday I had a party in the backyard. It was a pretty mellow thing, but great. Vader came by early to help with last minute cleaning and such. Then other folks started showing up. And with lovely gifts too. Because people spoil me. And think I'm a trashy princess since some of the gifts were booze and bath products and even a set of sassy stripper pole glasses. Hee. And of course the fancy girl air conditioner.

But it was a good time. Enough food and beer and wine for all. And dill dip. Which Beverly brought. And every time I said Lovey was bringing dill dip people thought I was going to say dildo. Leading to people laughing too much at the words dill dip all night. I manned the grill some but didn't have to do it the whole damn party like last year. So that was nice. Also, since only about 10 or 11 folks came I didn't feel like I was answering the door or hostessing as much and could sit and talk and hang out. Vader, Iolanthe, Charlotte, Britney & Kevin, Bambi, Muppet & Mr. Muppet, Lovey & the Musical Genius and Steph all came. So, a good crew. With lots of joking around, trash talking and mocking of me. Vader brought up the stuffed animal of an ex that I spent a good deal of time mending which amused those who were not aware of my good girlfriend homemaker abilities. And then at one point gynecologists came up and I said something about a tiny pink bagel. A few folks hadn't heard the tiny pink bagel story so I started it. At which point Steph giggled and said, "Ah, Amanda's vagina stories." And I actually do have a collection of vagina stories. Which is a little mortifying. But not mortifying enough that I didn't actually share all of them with the die hard folks who were still around later in the evening. It was a really nice night and I'm glad I decided to do the party thing.

Sunday was a day of Steph. We had brunch, got the AC, installed the AC, watched X-Men 3 and had way too much popcorn. Excellent Birthday Sunday.

And then today Sheena made me come into Manhattan and bought me lunch. I grabbed coffee with Lovey after that and ran into a bunch of folks from the old office which was nice. Everyone seems concerned about me and all that, a good feeling knowing that people do give a rat's ass. On Saturday, Vader insisted I couldn't be alone on my birthday night so she brought piña colada mix over tonight and we had piña coladas in the porch swing before heading to Sweet Melissa's for dinner and chocolate souffle cake. And of course lots of chatting and gossiping and eventual drunken babbling as the piña coladas were rather strong.

And then lots of emails and phone calls and such all day from friends and family. So, lots of Birthday Princess attention.

All in all a good Birthday Weekend. I have a lot of fabulous friends and family and am very, very lucky. And very, very old.

No comments: