Thursday, April 01, 2004

Dance, baby, Dance!

So, last night Turnip and I went to a friend's fundraiser. Well, it wasn't to raise funds specifically for her. It was for a dance/performance art group that she's involved with. She's not a performer but is on the board of sorts and helps plan events like the one last night. So, of course I wanted to go and support her. And Turnip was in town so I dragged her with me. And it was fun. But I didn't love the performances.

I do like performance art and I love so many kinds of dance, but I didn't really like any of the performances last night. I'm kind of picky about my performance art. It has to move me or entertain me or visually stun me or something. Nothing last night did that. One of my big problems was that not all of the dancers were very good. One of them was even pretty bad. Whenever more than one dancer was on stage none of them were in synch. They were all slightly off from each other. But the steps were the same so they looked like they should've been in synch. So that totally took me out of the performance because I couldn't stop thinking about it. My touch of the OCD spreads far and wide. Also, the meaning and symbolism behind the performances (yes, I know finding meaning in art is subjective to a large extent - hush up) weren't really things that I found intriguing, thought-provoking, interesting, important to me, etc. And the movements themselves weren't interesting or stimulating to me. I just wasn't thrilled or even entertained.

The one piece that I almost liked was the last one. Turnip didn't love the song choice (something about how folks pick foreign language songs because they sound pretty without actually paying attention to the lyrics and how they don't go with the performance at all) an I agree with her on that, but the dancing was more structured. And the movements were ones I liked watching. The dancer had some talent and control which I wasn't seeing with some of the performers. But the gimmick behind the performance wasn't as funny to me as it was to the audience. And that's what kept me from really liking it.

I also was not impressed with the Poekoelan demonstration. I think part of that was my newfound love for Taekwon Do. This Poekoelan stuff was done to music which instantly set me on edge. A kind of disco song almost. Ugh. I also didn't really find the movements as sharp as I'd like and I didn't enjoy watching it. Everyone else seemed into it and I'm sure that for the right kind of person it can be fun and useful. Just not for me. Though one of the guys in the performance had a really nice ass which Turnip and I enjoyed checking out the rest of the evening while it was encased in some tight jeans. So that was totally a plus.

I like watching bodies move with control and purpose and strength. It's just amazing to me what the human body can do. And how good it can look in all its forms. And so I love dance performances and fights and gymnastics and circus performances (human) and the like. But when the performers don't seem to be making it about what their bodies are doing it keeps me from enjoying it. I don't think making a statement is a bad thing in art, but if the skill and control and enjoyment of the movement isn't there, I'm probably not going to give a rat's ass about what you're trying to say with that movement.

But, I'm glad I went. It's important to Muppet and I was happy to support her and to learn more about this thing that is so important to her. Plus, I won Cyclones tickets in the silent auction and that was awesome. And Turnip and I had fun and there were snacks; brie and crackers and cookies and mini quiche. And that really nice ass (which still is not as perfect as my stripper fake boyfriend's ass). Though now lots of folks from the office think Turnip and I are dating. Heh. She's a cutie, but we've been friends for a million years and she's totally straight so no. But it is a physical relationship with lots of touching and hand holding and all that. Physical without being sexual. You know? A lot of people don't always get the distinction.

Fuck. My iPod headphones are getting beat up. Dangit. I'm so hard on headphones. I don't know what it is with me. Guess I'll be getting new ones soon. Maybe I should just get 20 pair or so to keep handy.

No comments: