Monday, March 29, 2004

Yellow Belt, green stripe. Fear me.

My mother sends a nightly email out to the family. Just a little run down of what she's done that day as well as what's going on with anyone she talked to that day. Dad and I get mentioned a lot. Muffy and Steph have been mentioned quite a bit as well (yeah, y'all were in last night's email about the Circus). The most recent email has my Mom gushing over some "totally cute and adorable" 14 year old soccer player. I think she's been talking to me too much. Heh.

So, the kick I had to do for my test on Saturday wasn't the one I was expecting. And it took me three tries to break the board. I kept kicking too high and mostly beating up on the hand of the guy holding the board. I'm a bad, bad Taekwon Do girl. I'm bummed about that since I nailed it on the first try for my first test. But I'm trying to come to terms with it. Muffy and Steph came to watch and they don't seem to respect me any less because of that. And while I was terrified right beforehand, the testing was fun. I just really like the school and the people and all the kicking and punching. And today I get to go to class and hopefully start learning a new pattern and all. Woo. The excitement. It's barely containable.

This weekend was nice. Saturday was testing and all that. Then afterwards Muffy, Steph and I spent an hour or so being cranky about Times Square while trying to figure out what we wanted to do for the night. After a trip to the Hershey's Store (free Swoops samples), a call to information, a call to Mom (so she could uncross her fingers for my testing), drinking water in a park and wandering down to the Flatiron area we ended up at Bread Bar at Tabla which was pretty awesome. It's kinda like fucked up Indian food. Like onion rings and saag paneer pizza and nan with cheese and red peppers and such. Good stuff though. I kinda didn't feel like I should eat again after that little experience. We waddled down Union Square to possibly catch a movie but no one but me was up for Jersey Girl. Alas.

Actually, there's been this recent trend with Muffy & Steph & I coming home way too early. One night we were all home before midnight. Saturday we were home about 10:30PM. So sad. On the way to the circus yesterday, Steph and I decided that sometime soon we're going to have to go out at night and somehow stay up and out to see the dawn. I don't care if he and I are turning 30 this year. Doesn't mean we have to grow up and go home early.

Now, the circus. The circus was an experience. The huge crowds of people scared me and the children in front of me with the fake sword fighting that was taking everyone down with them were kind of annoying. But some of the acrobatic stunts were fun. And who doesn't like to mock clowns? Though I was sorta frightened by the clown bit with the giant teeth and the strange dental assistant clown with a giant toothbrush. But I enjoyed Sumo Elvis clown. Because it was Sumo Elvis Clown. But yeah, some parts were fun (nachos! motorcycles!) and some dragged (audience participation!). And I'm torn on how I feel about animals in circuses. I didn't really like that the trainers held whips though they didn't really seem to be doing much with the whips. And the animals seemed to be getting lots of pats and treats and things. But then the lions' transporting cages seemed awfully small. I'm trying to find out more information on how these animals are treated. Because I loved watching the elephants and the dogs and the goat. But I also felt kind of uncomfortable about it. You know? But none of the animals seemed to be doing anything horrible. Just some running around and all. And the goat got to climb over some pigs who just stood there and chewed treats. But some of the stuff I've been reading online this morning about circus animals makes me kinda sad. I'm glad I went and got to see the circus again as an adult (the last time I went I was about 7 I think) but I think I'm now more of a Cirque du Soleil kinda girl these days.

No comments: